• Wed. Sep 21st, 2022

Brexit news: First photo of new driver’s license as DVLA steps up preparations for no deal | United Kingdom | New

The International Driving Permit (IDP), issued by post, will be required for UK drivers to travel abroad if Britain leaves the European Union without a Brexit deal. The 1968 IDP will be valid for three years from the date of issue, while the 1949 and 1926 versions are valid for one year. If and when the UK eventually leaves the EU, it will likely become more difficult for motorists to drive in Europe, with several additional documents required in some cases.

Currently, UK driving license holders living in the UK need an IDP in addition to their own driving license to travel to certain countries outside the EU and the European Economic Area (EEA).

They can also drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving license.

The UK issues three types of IDPs to licensees living in the UK: 1926 IDP, 1949 IDP and 1968 IDP.

If there is a Brexit deal, UK license holders will be able to drive in all EU and EEA countries using the current license.

BREXIT LIVE: Get us out NOW! Brexit postponement to May ‘ILLEGAL’ – MEPs state shocking legal blockade

But in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the government publication says: ‘The government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognize UK driving licenses when people visit, for example. example on vacation or business trip.

‘Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving license holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving license to drive when visiting EU and EU countries. the EEA.

“Each country in the EU and EEA will decide whether they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driver’s license, to drive legally in their country.

“In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, during the crossing from France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

As of April 12, if there is no opt-out agreement in place, drivers may need a 1968 IDP to drive in any of the 24 countries in the EU and EEE.

They are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania , Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden.

If there is no Brexit deal by April 12, drivers may need a 1949 IDP to drive in Cyprus, Iceland, Malta and Spain.

Ireland has ratified the 1949 Road Traffic Convention but does not require foreign drivers to have an IDP, in addition to their own driving license.

This means motorists with a UK driving license will not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from April 12.

All three types of IDPs can be purchased over the counter from 2,500 pPost Office branches nationwide for £ 5.50 each.

But the government has advised motorists using a UK driving license and living in the EU and EEA will not be able to use an IDP to ensure their UK license will be recognized in that country.

The advice says: ‘If you want to continue driving you need to exchange your UK license with a local license, where that option exists.

“Although the UK is a member of the EU, UK driving licenses are directly redeemable for licenses from EU and EEA countries.

“From April 12, 2019, in the absence of an exit agreement from the EU, this license exchange agreement will cease.

“Instead, you will have to retake your driving test in the EU country where you live in order to continue driving there.

“If you exchange your license you will be able to get your UK license back when you return to live in the UK, provided you have passed your driving test in the UK or in a designated country.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.